Sunday, February 26, 2017

FORGIVENESS + BE HUMBLE

{Sorry I've been behind on posting Sarah's emails! This email is from last week, and I also posted the email from the week before.}

This week was so so cool! I learned a lot about forgiving and forgetting. It's amazing. The instant we choose to repent and have faith, a distinct power and joy just flows into our lives.

One night Miller Shimai and I were feeling sad and weak and I didn't know exactly what to do. As I was praying, a small idea popped into my head. Give your companion a picture of something fun we did recently! It seemed so small, but I searched and found a polaroid picture, wrote a note on the back, and slid it into her brown leather bound journal. The next day we somehow got on the topic of weaknesses and the scripture Ether 12:27, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." We realized that we both have our weaknesses. We forgave ourselves and immediately felt a change in our hearts and countenances.

Miller Shimai and I have been working really hard these past 3 transfers together. But sometimes I feel like we hadn't seen the blessings and success we had hoped for. In my mind and heart this has been a hard thing to accept, especially with my time in the field winding down. This week I felt like all I could think about was, "Heavenly Father, I have been trying and working so hard, for you, but we aren't seeing the fruits of our labors. What more can I do? What can I give? What must I surrender?" We read Alma 32:16 & 22, "Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble; or rather, in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God...And now, behold, I say unto you, and I would that ye should remember, that God is merciful unto all who believe on his name; therefore he desireth, in the first place, that ye should believe, yea, even on his word." 

We don't always know what God is teaching us. But one thing I do know is that the greatest fruits of our labors right now are that we've been healed and that we are in the process of being healed. God's mercy towards us is that we have grown and learned so much!!! When we realize what He is doing for us, that's when everything changes.

(Also, give this song a listen: Exalted Over All - Vertical Church Band)

Love, Lowry Shimai

BBQ and Ume Matsuri.

Eating fries :)

Shopping.

We love the scriptures!

No comments: